Born in Eisleben, East Germany, 1953. Grown up in Dessau .
Studied Physics in Cracow, Poland Studied national economy in Berlin, Germany
Work as an editor and scriptwriter at the DEFA – Documentary Film Studio.
Studied directing at the University for Film and Television in Potsdam-Babelsberg
From 1987 to 1991 work as film director and scriptwriter at the DEFA-Documentary Film Studio in Berlin
After the film studio was closed – as a consequence of German unification – working as independent film director, scriptwriter and producer for television, cinema, private companies and government organizations
• Bavarian Film Award 2016 for the best German documentary
• Silver Wolf, IDFA, Amsterdam International Film Festival, Netherlands
• Grand Prix, Earth Vision Film Festival, Tokyo, Japan
• Grand Prix for Documentary, Festival du Film de Strasbourg, France
• Dow, Leipzig International Documentary Film Festival, Germany
• Golden Coins, Roshd International Film Festival, Teheran
• Adolf-Grimme-Preis, Award for the best Documentary in German Television
• Prize of the DEFA-Foundation, Germany, 2009 Filmwork in: France, Georgia, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, India, the Netherlands, Nigeria, Poland, Russia, South Africa, Spain, Syria, USA
Teaching documentary film making: USA (Eastman School for Music, Rochester) Canada (University of Toronto) Singapore (Film Department Ngee Ann) Syria (Damascus High School for Television) India, (German Goethe Institut) Germany (Media Academy Hamburg, University of Paderborn)